Re: Webkit-gtk and MacOSX

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Xan Lopez<xan gnome org> wrote:
> WebKit is the native layer on top of WebCore offered by each port for
> their platform, so the answer to that is: yes, WebKitGTK provides
> GObject APIs which are all "specific" to it.

Right, so another question: does the GObject API contain stuff that is
not possible in the native layers for other platforms?

>> Does font rendering look similar?
>
> Similar to what? The system WebKit? I believe WebKitGTK+ uses pango in
> OSX, so I suppose it depends on what pango does in OSX.

Yes, that would be CoreText on recent releases.  And I would guess
system WebKit uses that as well.  But combined with your following
point:

>> Does Webkit-GTK handle parts of GTK+ theming that are not possible using the Carbon shim approach you are
>> suggesting?
>
> I'm not sure of what that Carbon shim approach is or how it works, but
> WebKitGTK+ uses the current GTK+ theme for all its rendering,
> including web forms, media controls, etc.

If the Carbon shim approach does not take the GTK+ theme / fonts into
account, there is a fair chance that the WebKit "control" will look
kind of out-of-place in a GTK+ application.  Especially if it also
involves web form and media controls.

What do you think?

regards,

-kris.