Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 18:45 -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > gvfs needs a session bus, not a system bus, so you're falling back to a
> > non-gvfs system. Thus no http support.
>
> OK, I suppose I can get this working on my own system, but my main
> point is: why does GTK include a function such as gtk_show_uri
> which depends on a big stack of unspecified stuff?  At least this
> should be mentioned in the documentation.  As I said before, up
> till very recently one has been able to rely on GTK functions
> "just working" so long as the compile-time dependencies are
> satisfied.

Thats not totally true, there are optional dependencies in gtk+ before
gvfs. Things like shared memory, cups backend, etc.

But, all the gio calls *do* work even with gvfs totally absent. The only
thing that doesn't work is things involving non-local files, and I don't
understand how you expect that to ever work without depenencies.

gtk_show_uri() for instance is an excellent function to use to launch
the users default app to open a specific file, based on its mimetype.

It just feels like you want to have a cake (non-local file i/o) and not
pay for it (supply dependencies).