Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 12:29 -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 10:43 -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> > > As it's currently coded gtk_show_uri is bound
> > > to fail if GVfs is not present.  But more than that: it'll fail
> > > even if GVfs _is_ present (as it is now on my system), if GVfs
> > > does not in turn incorporate GConf support.  I thought I'd read
> > > that GConf was supposed to be deprecated, or on the way there?
> >
> > I don't understand what you propose? There is no in-use non-gconf
> > setting for mapping default handlers for entire uri scheme. So, we
> > lookup none which mean we then fall back to the per-mime default.
>
> The uri I'm testing with gtk_show_uri is a simple http reference.
> So far as I can tell the attempt to handle it grinds to a halt in
> g_file_query_info with iface->query_info = NULL.  gnome_url_show
> has no problem getting firefox to open it.

Well, if you don't have gvfs installed then you will not be able to
either look up the uri handler for the http uri scheme in gconf, nor
will you be able to query_info for the mime type of the file on the http
server. It should not grind to a halt though, can you explain in more
detail what happens?

For the gnome_url_show() case this calls the old gnome_vfs_url_show()
which reads the http scheme default from gconf. This is the same
behaviour as gtk_show_url would have if you had gvfs installed with
gconf support.