Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 14:36 -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > > The uri I'm testing with gtk_show_uri is a simple http reference.
> > > So far as I can tell the attempt to handle it grinds to a halt in
> > > g_file_query_info with iface->query_info = NULL.  gnome_url_show
> > > has no problem getting firefox to open it.
> >
> > Well, if you don't have gvfs installed then you will not be able to
> > either look up the uri handler for the http uri scheme in gconf, nor
> > will you be able to query_info for the mime type of the file on the http
> > server. It should not grind to a halt though, can you explain in more
> > detail what happens?
>
> I put some debugging statements into some of the gio files, and
> here's what I'm getting when I try to open the http reference:

> And an error message "Operation not supported".

Thats not "grind to halt" really, but ok. What do you have built?
It seems to load a libgvfsdbus.so, so gvfs seems to be there, but with
no gconf module? Do you have a session dbus running?

If you have gvfs installed but not with gconf what should happen is that
the query_info on the uri should sniff the mimetype and launch app
depending on that.

Does gvfs stuff work at all in your installation? For instance, what
does "gvfs-info http://gretl.sourceforge.net"; print? for me it does:

gvfs-info http://gretl.sourceforge.net
display name: /
edit name: /
type: unknown
size: 14276
attributes:
  etag::value: "37c4-467d4ae02f640"
  standard::display-name: /
  standard::edit-name: /
  standard::content-type: text/html
  standard::size: 14276
  id::filesystem: type=http,uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgretl.sourceforge.net,__mount_prefix=%2F
  time::modified: 1240063057
  time::modified-usec: 0

which should lanuch whatever app is registered for text/html.