Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

Hans Breuer wrote:

> Am 18.07.2008 15:32, Owen Taylor schrieb:
>> I don't see the virtue of a gtk1-compat library... it's just shuffling
>> non-maintainership around forever.
> My attempt to a constructive answer is: just let the people who need the
> compatibility keep gtk-2.x alive within the GNOME infrastructure.

A flaw in that logic is that the people who need the compatibility likely need
it due to lack of resources to port to the new version, and therefore would be
unable to contribute resources to maintenance of the toolkit.

People most dearly affected by forging ahead with ABI breaks are users of good
but "finished" (or sometimes simply abandoned) applications.  The users who
want it will not be able to help maintain an old version of gtk; you're more
likely to have people just reinvent the wheel.

(Sometimes you get a better wheel.  Sometimes the old wheel was far superior.)

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>