Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 13:15 +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:55:59 +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > A suggestion that came up in the post-guadec discussions was to move
> > deprecated widgets to libgtk3-compat instead of removing them. This
> > means that applications using these will have to add that as a
> > dependency to his code base in order to continue using them. Off the
> > top of my head this sounds like a good suggestion to me.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > The 1.x -> 2.0 change was painful for everyone who had an app that
> > needed porting, however I find it pretty irrelevant in comparison to
> > 2.x -> 3.0.
>
> Well, if no libgtk-compat is planned, it will be about as painful
> for users of the deprecated and removed widgets/functions.

Possibly the constructive question here is:

 What sort of messaging would have convinced you to have moved
 away from the deprecated widgets?

I don't see the virtue of a gtk1-compat library... it's just shuffling
non-maintainership around forever. I'd suggest people can just cut,
paste, and rename the things into their own code if they are so
attached to the code.

- Owen