Re: libgtk3deprecated (Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Sven Herzberg wrote:

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 17.07.2008, 20:18 +0200 schrieb Tim Janik:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Martin Meyer wrote:
2) Is it entirely possible from a gtk perspective to have all that
code detached from gtk-core and placed in a different library? Are
there any deprecated things that this would *not* work for? Maybe we
can detach as many as possible and leave the rest in place for now.

Complete deprecated widgets should be fairly easy to separarte,
single deprecated functions that some components may have can be
hard to impossible to move when the implementation requires
access to internals.

But this could be worked around with a strange compile setup, right?
With something like this:
~/sources/gtk+
~/sources/gtk-deprecated
and gcc -I$(top_srcdir)/../gtk+/gtk
to access potential gtkwidgetpriv.h, right? Would mean "recompile with
every source change to gtk+" but if some (many?) people depend on this,
I think they can easily distribute the burden of maintaining a parallel
version.

There is no point in having libgtk3deprecated access gtk+ internals and
not go through public interfaces only. If we did that, we'd simply preserve
the maintenance burden on Gtk+ internal definitions. We really want to
get rid of a bunch of stuff, be free to refactor structures and internal
methods to implement new things cleanly. If libgtk3deprecated kept acessing
and relying on internals it'd either constantly break or hinder us on doing
reorganisations.

Also, this'd tie release cycles and maintenance resources of libgtk3deprecated
closely to Gtk+ again. The main point in seperating deprecated code is to
load off the core team though, so application developers or distributors
that still have an interest in deprecated components can take over its
maintenance as long as that's necessary.

A closing word on the library name, since this'd be an ABI break,
such a library only makes sense for Gtk+-3.0 (or 2.99.0) and should
probably advertise that it ships deprecated Gtk+ stuff. So the best
name is probably libgtk3deprecated for this (there could possibly
be a libgtk4deprecated as well at some point).

Well, so GTK+ 4.0 could be accompanied by these two:
libgtk3deprecated-4.0.so
libgtk4deprecated-3.0.so
Right?

I'd guess that if deprecated 2.x components that landed in libgtk3deprecated
are still required when a libgtk4deprecated is released, they could
possibly need some porting and simply be included as real parts of
libgtk4deprecated. This is highly speculative though and can be considered
when we have the Gtk+-4.0 discussion. We're not quite there yet ;)

Regards,
 Sven

---
ciaoTJ