Re: libgtk3deprecated (Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things)

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 17.07.2008, 20:18 +0200 schrieb Tim Janik:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Martin Meyer wrote:
> > 2) Is it entirely possible from a gtk perspective to have all that
> > code detached from gtk-core and placed in a different library? Are
> > there any deprecated things that this would *not* work for? Maybe we
> > can detach as many as possible and leave the rest in place for now.
>
> Complete deprecated widgets should be fairly easy to separarte,
> single deprecated functions that some components may have can be
> hard to impossible to move when the implementation requires
> access to internals.

But this could be worked around with a strange compile setup, right?
With something like this:
~/sources/gtk+
~/sources/gtk-deprecated
and gcc -I$(top_srcdir)/../gtk+/gtk
to access potential gtkwidgetpriv.h, right? Would mean "recompile with
every source change to gtk+" but if some (many?) people depend on this,
I think they can easily distribute the burden of maintaining a parallel
version.

> A closing word on the library name, since this'd be an ABI break,
> such a library only makes sense for Gtk+-3.0 (or 2.99.0) and should
> probably advertise that it ships deprecated Gtk+ stuff. So the best
> name is probably libgtk3deprecated for this (there could possibly
> be a libgtk4deprecated as well at some point).

Well, so GTK+ 4.0 could be accompanied by these two:
libgtk3deprecated-4.0.so
libgtk4deprecated-3.0.so
Right?

Regards,