Re: About GTK+ 3.0 and deprecated things

> It is just not cool to use Gtk.

I think that pretty much hits it on the nail.  Some people want a cool
project to work on.  By all means, go ahead!  Fork gtk+ to something
new, cool, fancy.  But leave existing gtk+ bugzilla and svn module
alone.

> In the end it comes down to which goal is deemed most
> important: Keep ISVs and spare-time-investors happy or motivate a new
> generation of hackers to pick up, the coolness that could be, Gtk.

Do you really think saying "Fuck you!" to your application developers
every 3-4 years is going to attract an enthusiastic crowd?

Morten

> 1) How does *anything* break?

The constant deprecation and removal of (boring, ugly, unmaintained,
unsexy, but working-as-well-as-yesterday) code means that you put
application developers into a bad spot: my source code will not work
with both old and new gtk+.  Since new gtk+ only gets deployed years
after it hits svn, that means maintaining two versions.  Or screwing half
my user base.  Not fun.

Using the newest APIs is not really a viable choice for application
developers unless it is for functionality that is not essential.  (GtkRecent
fails into that category, for example.  We will use it if it is there.  If not,
you don't get recent file support.)