Re: Sudden Tango changes in trunk

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:00:49AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> For anything that runs under gnome or another icon-theme-spec using
> desktop, this should not be an issue, I think, because icon themes
> already replace all the stock gtk icons to match their style.

So, for anything else it might be a problem.  We need to decide whether
this is a reasonable change to make.  How would we handle changing the
default theme engine in the stable series?  Is that reasonable to do
in 2.x series?  This is not fully comparable to changing stock icons
though, since it does not raise concerns as noted in my other mail.

> It could be a concern on win32 or in embedded scenarios. Although most
> embedded GTK+ uses probably have custom builds of GTK+, so they can
> easily replace the stock icons with something that works better on their
> platform. We could make that easier by keeping the old icons in the tree
> and adding a build-time switch to select old-style vs new-style icons.
> That would certainly blow up the tarballs a bit, though.

If it is decided in the end that this is a problem, why using a
build-time switch and not just shipping it as an icon theme?

-kris.