Re: GTK+ canvas?

Havoc Pennington wrote:
e.g. the HippoCanvas I wrote in 3 days lacks some stuff (i.e. I didn't bother to support events other than button press), but it's already more useful than GnomeCanvas because it supports layout (width-for-height layout even). I'm sure the other more serious existing implementations have also surpassed GnomeCanvas already.

Basing a canvas on cairo requires very little to surpass GnomeCanvas. For example, I put down some rough thoughts here:
    http://libpapyrus.sourceforge.net/gnomecanvasmm.php

I think perhaps my goals and the design of papyrus are a little different from the general discussion I've seen in this thread. In particular, my interest lies in diagrammatic reasoning, visual languages, and in particular rule-based visual languages.