Re: What about official GTK+ installer for win32?

Michael Lawrence writes:
 > Modular systems are simply easier to maintain.

When said modules are maintained by people who have never heard of
each others, and with different ideas what the modular system is?

 > I feel that a sophisticated package management system for Windows is a must
 > for open-source to become mainstream on Windows.

Well, *some* open-source software is quite mainstream on Windows
already, like Firefox. And you don't see Firefox attempting to "share"
installations of stuff like libjpeg, libpng, zlib etc DLLs, even
though they for sure use them. They just build them in.

 > Of course, the construction and maintenance of such a system would
 > be a monumental task and far beyond the scope of GTK+.

Indeed. Not to mention the clout required to convince other
developers/maintainers then to use such a system.

I really wish Microsoft would come up with a package management system
for 3rd-party software on Windows... Windows Installer technology is
monumentally powerful and complex, but it answers the wrong question,
I think.

--tml