Re: GTK+ Application class

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 10:39 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 10:26 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > yay, so it's probably better to have convenience functions on
> > GtkApplication, like:
> >
> > gtk_application_create_dialog
> > gtk_application_create_main_window
> The problem I see with this approach is that the 'typical app window'
> concept is evolving (we saw the introduction of toolbars, statusbars,
> maybe we will need a drag-n-drop-to-save-document icon or macosx-like-
> side-menus or whatever the next fad is as a standard feature).

Indeed it can evolve quite a bit.

Considering what a typical dialog/toplevel usually contains, it could be
beneficial if this GtkAppWindow would also be capable of hiding some of
the layout information from the programmer - so that it could become
more themeable in that area, instead of requiring packing all this into
an application programmer selected GtkContainer (usually a GtkVBox). For
example see many of the blue sky ideas on gnome-look[1] and other

a set_gadget (statusbar, menubar, etc) should give most of what's needed
there, but I'm not sure that covers all cases.

> So either gtk_application_create_main_window() will stay as it is first
> designed, and apps using it will show their age, or it evolves, and
> won't be suitable as-is for old apps.

Among others:

Mart Raudsepp