Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

--- Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 14 avril 2006 à 17:54 +0100, Joachim
> Noreiko a écrit :
>
> > > Thats not a principle, thats nonsense.
> Applications
> > > are not entirely
> > > separate from
> > > each other. There are plenty of resources which
> they
> > > have to share somehow,
> > > from screen real estate to cpu time. X
> selections
> > > like PRIMARY are just another
> > > example.
> > >

> > Users don't know about CPU resources.
> > The purpose of windows is to get round the shared
> > screen space.
> > I don't think it's nonsense at all.
> >
> > If there's no way to keep this and fix the
> problems it
> > causes, then it has to go.
>
> It does not cause any problem. Just some people want
> to switch from a
> well-defined behavior (one PRIMARY per DISPLAY) to a
> fuzzy one: you want
> to have several selections, but how many ?
> - One selection per application ?
> - One selection per window ?
> - One selection per widget ?
> (Note that you can have more than one application
> per window).
> I smell the mess, inconsistent between toolkits and
> applications.
>
> Keep to well-defined and simple behavior, guys.

You know what?
All I want is for stuff I do in one application to
stay in that application.
If I select something in Gedit, go away and do other
things, have a cup of coffee, play a game, browser the
web, whatever, and come back to gedit, I want that
text to still be selected.
Is that so hard to ask?

Maybe it is, seeing as how getting a help button into
the filechooser doesn't seem doable.