Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

Le vendredi 14 avril 2006 à 17:54 +0100, Joachim Noreiko a écrit :

> > Thats not a principle, thats nonsense. Applications
> > are not entirely
> > separate from
> > each other. There are plenty of resources which they
> > have to share somehow,
> > from screen real estate to cpu time. X selections
> > like PRIMARY are just another
> > example.
> >

> Users don't know about CPU resources.
> The purpose of windows is to get round the shared
> screen space.
> I don't think it's nonsense at all.
>
> If there's no way to keep this and fix the problems it
> causes, then it has to go.

It does not cause any problem. Just some people want to switch from a
well-defined behavior (one PRIMARY per DISPLAY) to a fuzzy one: you want
to have several selections, but how many ?
- One selection per application ?
- One selection per window ?
- One selection per widget ?
(Note that you can have more than one application per window).
I smell the mess, inconsistent between toolkits and applications.

Keep to well-defined and simple behavior, guys.

	Xav