Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

Xavier Bestel wrote:

It does not cause any problem. Just some people want to switch from a
well-defined behavior (one PRIMARY per DISPLAY)
Noone wants to change *this*.

to a fuzzy one: you want
to have several selections, but how many ?
- One selection per application ?
- One selection per window ?
- One selection per widget ?
One selection per whatever thing user can select text in.
Just think about "select text using mouse" and it becomes
pretty simple.
I believe it means one selection per widget in practice,
though there may be crazy widgets which can have multiple
selections as well (maybe some canvas with fancy stuff inside).

(Note that you can have more than one application per window).
You do not select text in applications, you select it in windows,
controls, widgets, boxes, etc.

I smell the mess, inconsistent between toolkits and applications.
We already have inconsistency between toolkits and applications,
it's not a reason to continue to limit useful functionality.

Keep to well-defined and simple behavior, guys.
What exactly in multiple selections business is complicated or not
well-defined? The question "how many" above is not an answer:
it's the same question as whether given widget should be able to
have selection at all.

Regards,
Yevgen