Re: Default Theme Progress

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 00:59 -0500, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:15:45 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> > <quote who="Eugenia Loli-Queru">
> >
> > > At that point, Seth's email was *crystal clear* that this WILL be the
> > > default theme of Gnome 2.12.
> >
> > Seth confirmed that we were TALKING about the default theme for 2.12, not
> > that we had DECIDED on the default theme for 2.12. The only crystal clear
> > point made in Seth and Diana's mail is that Clearlooks is in the lead for
> > the moment, and we should at the very least ship it.
>
> Jeff is right, we have not firmly settled on the default theme for
> 2.12. For example, I would like to get Clearlooks in CVS and get
> people using it with lots of different apps to verify that its robust,
> doesn't leak memory, works with all apps, etc before we switch the
> default. Another thing we have to look at is colours, which we haven't
> even started delving into wrt to Clearlooks.

Are we going to do the same for all the other proposed themes? It seems
to me that if we just shove ClearLooks in and expect people to test it,
that it will trap to being the default, by virtue of the fact that it
simply at least looks better than Simple for most people. If the goal
of the mail Diana sent was to announce that it would be going in to
CVS for testing purposes, and is still only proposed, I see no reason
we shouldn't do likewise for the other proposed themes.

-- dobey