Re: Default Theme Progress

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:15:45 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Eugenia Loli-Queru">
>
> > At that point, Seth's email was *crystal clear* that this WILL be the
> > default theme of Gnome 2.12.
>
> Seth confirmed that we were TALKING about the default theme for 2.12, not
> that we had DECIDED on the default theme for 2.12. The only crystal clear
> point made in Seth and Diana's mail is that Clearlooks is in the lead for
> the moment, and we should at the very least ship it.

Jeff is right, we have not firmly settled on the default theme for
2.12. For example, I would like to get Clearlooks in CVS and get
people using it with lots of different apps to verify that its robust,
doesn't leak memory, works with all apps, etc before we switch the
default. Another thing we have to look at is colours, which we haven't
even started delving into wrt to Clearlooks.

Identifying a primary contender is definite progress, but its not the
end of the process. I think it is very likely we will switch to
Clearlooks as the default, but it is still at the point where we don't
want to be "locked in" so to speak. To that end, too early publicity
isn't ideal.

That said, I think we do tend to err on the side of not showing
everyone the exciting stuff we're doing. I'd rather people see it in a
half-baked form than not at all. I appreciate Eugenia's work to expose
our (and other projects) work to a larger audience. I don't think
anybody is trying to twist the discussion by publicity, I think my
message can be legitimately read as "we're doing Clearlooks as the
default for 2.12 for sure".

Anyway, all's good and we're on the path to looking better.

-Seth