Re: GtkFontPickerButton

Thanks for the feedback, Owen.

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 23:47, Owen Taylor wrote:

> - I'd like to see "label_font_size" separated out from
>    set_use_font_in_label, so that you can use the
>    default value. Or maybe removed altogether...
>    it's a acessibility/themability trap, since if you
>    set it it won't follow the theme's font size.
>
>     ... in fact, it doesn't follow the theme's
>    font size by default either now!
>
>  - If label_font_size is left: a) it should be in
>    Pango units or a double (GtkTextTag::size,
>    GtkTextTag::size_points.) b) I don't see a point
>    in the pretty strict limits that are put on the
>    property values. c) maybe it should be a scale
>    factor compared to the normal size.

I replaced label_font_size by a boolean use_size, which allows to
either use the regular font size from the style or the selected size.

>  - Does the ::font_set signal duplicate notify::font_name?
>
>    (Yes, I know they behave differently... but the
>    question is whether a callback that only happens
>    when the user changes the button is needed; it saves
>    the typical initial-setup-reentrancy problems, but
>    the programmer is presumably already dealing with
>    that for the rest of their program.)

I left it in for now.

>  - Does the 'preview-text' property really make sense?
>    Under what circumstances would an application want
>    to change it?

Its gone.

>  - I'm a little skeptical of the 'show-style' 'show-size'
>    options. I think it's basically wrong to have 'Helvetica'
>    show if the font is 'Helvetica Bold'. I tend to
>    think the button should always show the name
>    including the style, with 'Normal' suppressed.

You are right that since the dialog forces you to select a size and
style, these should somehow be reflected in the button. But there are
two ways to do so, either textual (this is controlled by the show_size
and show_style properties) or by modifying the font of the label (this
is controlled by the use_font and use_size properties). I think it makes
sense to offer both. The combination use_font=TRUE, show_style=FALSE
seems particularly useful, since the full font name including the style
can become overly long when being displayed with the font it names
(eg Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold Italic 14)

Matthias