Re: GTK+-2.x planning

Hi,

Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> >  * What's missing? What do we need to do, that we _can_ do in
> >    2.x that isn't below? Feel free to be blue-sky, but blue
> >    sky stuff is at least 2.6, maybe 2.8 :-)
>
> It just occurred to me that we prolly want to include something like
> GtkGLArea.

why include it? Anyone who wants GL support in his/her application can
easily pull in a library that provides this feature. Is there any
advantage of having this feature in GTK+? As soon as you start to
include such rarely-used widgets people will want a GtkVideoArea,
audio support, speech recognition, printing and the ability to brew
tasty coffee. These are all nice to have but it doesn't make sense to
stuff everything into the toolkit. GTK+ is already very close to
become overly bloated for a lot of usage cases. Unless you want to
give up GTK+ on embedded devices entirely you should be very picky on
what new features you include. I'd even say that some (already
deprecated) features should be stripped off ASAP.

Salut, Sven