Re: Big trouble with Euro locales (iso8859-15)

On Mon, 2001-09-17 at 17:01, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Well, as far as GTK+ or Xlib is concerned, there is absolutely
> no difference between different types of fonts.

> So, if you have problems of this sort, they have something
> to do with the way your X fonts are configured.

I don't think this is a X problem because the fonts work fine
in KDE/Xt/Motif applications.

> On my system, I don't have iso8859-15 encoded versions of the URW
> fonts, so of course, they aren't going to be able to display
> the euro sign. (I don't think the fonts actually
> _include_ the euro sign.)

Well, it's absolutely okay that they don't have an Euro symbol, however
they don't render at all in applications (they do in the fontselector)
and that's weird.

> [
>  One thing to note in this area is that if you do have a
>  /etc/gtk/gtkrc.iso885915 file, the GNOME control center's
>  font selection probably won't work correctly since it only
>  writes font= not fontset= lines, so the fontset= line
>  in /etc/gtk/gtkrc.iso885915 will override what it writes.
>
>  But the observed problem there will simply be that settings
>  made through the control center have no effect.
> ]

I still have no clue why the gtkrc should help here. I don't care about
overriding some widgets attributes, I'm more concerned that GIMP and
other applications cannot be used together with postscript fonts anymore
and this probably confuses other persons as well.

Maybe it's important to tell that GIMP for example spits out:

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:    ISO8859-15
Gdk-WARNING **:    ISO8859-15

I'm sure this means something. BTW: This is en_IE euro, which means
that this is really an ISO8859-15 problem. I get similar warning when
using LANG=ja_JP.eucjp, but instead of not rendering postscript fonts
this one works perfekt....

Servus,
       Daniel