Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting a Cairo context

Hi;

On 27 March 2015 at 11:24, Lucas Levrel <llevrel yahoo fr> wrote:
Le 27 mars 2015, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :

After GTK 2.8, you should be using the Cairo API for everything; some

Part of your sentence has been cutoff it seems.

Ah, yes. I was meaning to link to the migration API, and I moved it at the end.

You likely won't ever see a GTK 2 programming tutorial that is both up
to date and maintained, considering that GTK 2 is in deep maintenance
mode,

I don't understand. Gtk2 is stable and only receives bug fixes, right? (Is
this what you call deep maintenance?) So why should a tutorial on it be
maintained? A tutorial on Gtk 2.24 would do, whatever its date.

You still need to maintain a tutorial, unless it does cover
*everything* already — which is not the case.

The GTK 2.x tutorial, for instance, was a port of the 1.x tutorial,
which meant that it was both still using outdated concepts, and it was
never updated to reflect the changes that happened during the 2.x
development process. It does not talk about Cairo, for instance; or it
does not reflect changes in the GTK dependencies like GLib, GObject,
GIO, or Pango. It does not cover the accessibility API at all.

Just because the GTK+ 2.x API is frozen it does not mean that
everything around GTK+ is.

A good idea of what's needed to make your GTK 2 code use at least the
latest API in the 2.x series is to look at the GTK 2.x → 3.x migration
guide:

That will help fix my current code, thanks. Alas it won't help me write
correct new code.

If you're writing new code and you're using GTK+ 2.x, you're sadly
Doing It Wrong™, as the kids say today.

The migration guide will, at the very least, help you *not* use
deprecated API in any case.

If you're using GTK+ 3.x, the API reference has a whole section on how
to write idiomatic GTK+ applications, and the GNOME developers website
— https://developer.gnome.org — has various guides on other components
of the stack; there are even guides on the wiki —
https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI — that explain how to use newer
concepts, like settings, actions, application menus, and gestures.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io