Re: gtk+ 2.24 installation problems

On 03/03/2012 08:10 AM, Roger Davis wrote:
Sleeping on things overnight I'm thinking the best option may be to
dump their stuff in /usr/local, and adjust my environment as
necessary to pick up those libraries, etc., in advance of the
CentOS-included ones, which would include adjusting PKG_CONFIG_PATH
as you've advised. Hopefully if I do this then the pkg-config call
that's used to set my compile flags and library directories will get
me all the right stuff?

Yes this is the way to go.  Never overwrite your system packages.  Even
though GTK+ is supposed to be binary compatible between minor versions,
you could and probably would break things.  Even if you didn't, the next
time you do a yum update, if there are any GTK+ updates, they will
overwrite your custom changes.

So yes.  When installing GTK+ from source, always install to a
non-system prefix (/usr/local, or /opt) and use environment variables to
build against it and run programs.  A bit of a pain, true, but less pain
than breaking your system, like the other poster on this list did when
he removed GTK2 in an attempt to get GTK3 to compile and install on his
ubuntu box!  Completely broke his OS and he will probably have to
re-install.