Re: gtk+ 2.24 installation problems

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Roger Davis wrote:

I am trying to install the latest version of GTK+ v2 on my CentOS 6.2
system. The CentOS 6.2 install gave me v2.18, but I need some features
that the GTK+ 2 reference manual says are available only in 2.20 or
later.

I downloaded the v2.24 source tarball from gtk.org, but when I did a
'./configure' it told me I needed to install newer versions of glib
(>= 2.27.3), atk (>= 1.29.2) and gdk-pixbuf (>= 2.21.0).

I then downloaded those sources and first built glib 2.27.93 with a
simple './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make install;'. That went fine,
but when I went on to the gdk-pixbuf build it seemed to think I still had
my original glib package rather than the updated version which I had just
built and installed. [...]

For one thing, you need to ensure that you're building 64-bit versions of the libraries if you want to overwrite the distro-supplied versions. I'm not familiar with CentOS but presumably this should be documented.

Secondly, there's no point in building/installing obsolete "unstable" versions of the libraries in question (e.g. glib 2.27.93): use current stable versions, which for glib means 2.28.7 or 2.30.2.

Third, consider the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics