gtk+ 2.24 installation problems

Hello all,

I am trying to install the latest version of GTK+ v2 on my CentOS 6.2
system. The CentOS 6.2 install gave me v2.18, but I need some features
that the GTK+ 2 reference manual says are available only in 2.20 or
later.

I downloaded the v2.24 source tarball from gtk.org, but when I did a
'./configure' it told me I needed to install newer versions of glib
(>= 2.27.3), atk (>= 1.29.2) and gdk-pixbuf (>= 2.21.0).

I then downloaded those sources and first built glib 2.27.93 with a
simple './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make install;'. That went fine,
but when I went on to the gdk-pixbuf build it seemed to think I still had
my original glib package rather than the updated version which I had just
built and installed.

Investigating further I found that gdk-pixbuf's configure script is
calling pkg-config to look for these dependencies. Strangely, however,
the file /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc which it supposedly examines
to figure this out is a brand new file just dumped there by my recent
glib 2.27.93 install, and that file's contents correctly state the new
version number as 2.27.93.

Does anybody know what's up with this? Alternatively, is there a reliable
set of x86_64 binary RPMs for CentOS 6 that I can just grab from somewhere?
I was not able to find any myself.

Thanks!

Roger Davis