how to display initial information of program

hi all:
In my app program initialization, it connects database, initializes SDL video channel,etc .
these actions have been done before gtk mainloop,
i want to display these  initial message to user, and destroy the widget after initialization has been done,
which widget shall i use?
I try to use gtkdialog without button, but it seems prevents theFollow-upinstructions,for that wait for
response.

                           Regards