Re: Strange display problem with gtk-win32 and VC++

On 7 Nov 2010, at 07:31, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

if you are trying to use those with a current GLib or GTK+,
please check bugzilla for ones that actually work

I found this info on bugzilla:-

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=gtk%2B

but it wasn't very obvious which releases are considered as stable.  However, I remembered later that libgtk
didn't even include VC++ build projects until around version 2.22, so I doubt if it'd be possible to use
anything much older than that.  I couldn't go back to 2.16 say, which has often been described as the most
stable version.

I also checked my various config.h files to see if there was anything relating to fonts or font folders - but
the only settings I found were HAVE_CAIRO and HAVE_CAIRO_WIN32.  The latter tells cairo to use the Windows
GDI for font rendering (I think).  I'm not sure if either setting is relevant but in any case, both were
#defined to 1.  Doesn't seem as if I need to set up any paths anywhere but I'll continue looking.

Although the label widget displays those garbage squares that I described, the window title actually displays
correctly.  Not sure if that's telling me anything.  My guess at the moment is that there's no font being
loaded for the label widget.  Does that seem like a possible explanation?

John