Re: Strange display problem with gtk-win32 and VC++

On 11/6/2010 1:03 PM, John Emmas wrote:

If I build the app and link it to the official gnome binaries, it
works perfectly well.  However, if I rebuild those binaries (using
the various Visual Studio projects supplied with gtk / glib etc) the
app doesn't work.  The window and title display correctly but the
label (which is supposed to say "Welcome to GTK+") just displays a
sequence of 15 squares.  The number of squares is always related to
the label.  So if I shorten the label text to 10 characters, I get 10
squares etc. I'm not sure if this mailing list supports file
attachments but if there's a way to attach a file, I have a small
screenshot available which illustrates the problem.

If it works with the official GTK binaries (which is what I assume you meant when you said "gnome binaries"), I would just stick with those. You don't want to be in the business of supplying GTK binaries. That's a difficult, time-consuming task; just look at all the conversations about the Windows GTK libraries involving Tor - no one ever wants to volunteer to help.

Since the number of squares equals the number of characters in the label you are trying to display, the problem appears to be one of font rendering. Other than that meager observation, I can't really help.

--
Guy Rouillier