Strange display problem with gtk-win32 and VC++

For the past few years I've been migrating my Windows apps to GTK+ which I now tend to use in preference to
Microsoft's MFC.  However, I've always been conscious of the fact that the official gnome binaries are
(apparently) built using the 'C' runtime that equates to VC6.  VC6 has been obsolete for nearly a decade and
is utterly useless for building modern-day apps.  As it happens, I'm building with VC8 but I'm worried about
the potential problems of mixing VC6 and VC8 runtimes in the same application.

Fortunately, the more recent releases of GTK+ come with Visual Studio projects supplied as part of the
sources.  So I decided to try and build libgtk-win32 and its dependencies, using VC8.

To test my build, I used a very simple "Hello World" app.  In fact it's the Hello World example from Andrew
Krause's book 'Foundations of GTK+ Development'.  It launches a very simple window whose title is "Hello
World!".  The window has a gtk label which is supposed to display the text "Welcome to GTK+".

If I build the app and link it to the official gnome binaries, it works perfectly well.  However, if I
rebuild those binaries (using the various Visual Studio projects supplied with gtk / glib etc) the app
doesn't work.  The window and title display correctly but the label (which is supposed to say "Welcome to
GTK+") just displays a sequence of 15 squares.  The number of squares is always related to the label.  So if
I shorten the label text to 10 characters, I get 10 squares etc. I'm not sure if this mailing list supports
file attachments but if there's a way to attach a file, I have a small screenshot available which illustrates
the problem.

Anyway, has anyone here ever seen this kind of thing before?  Or can anyone suggest a particular place where
I should start looking for the problem?

John