Re: Strange display problem with gtk-win32 and VC++

On 7 Nov 2010, at 00:15, Guy Rouillier wrote:

Since the number of squares equals the number of characters in the label you are trying to display, the
problem appears to be one of font rendering.

Thanks Guy.  I think I've been easing towards that conclusion myself but it's good that someone else is
thinking along the same lines.

If it works with the official GTK binaries (which is what I assume you meant when you said "gnome
binaries"), I would just stick with those. You don't want to be in the business of supplying GTK binaries.
That's a difficult, time-consuming task; just look at all the conversations about the Windows GTK libraries
involving Tor - no one ever wants to volunteer to help.

Well I probably would.  I can appreciate where you're coming from Guy, but there are bigger ramifications to
consider.  What I DON'T want to be doing is to distribute an application made with a mishmash of incompatible
compilers and different 'C' runtimes.  If my information is correct, the distributed GTK binaries were built
with MinGW and gcc.  I won't be using either of those so it's important that I find out what's wrong.  The
libraries appear to build perfectly with VC++ but subsequently they don't work (or at least, they don't
"appear to" work) once they're built.

Strange as it may seem, the very reason I embarked upon building everything with VC++ was that I was already
seeing this problem when using the official GTK binaries.  The difference then was that it was only an
occasional problem whereas now I seem to have it permanently.  However, that could be helpful in tracking it
down!  It might well be something as simple as a path problem.  In fact the more I think about it, the more
likely that seems.