Re: Connecting GTK application to a database

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 10:50 -0600, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
Using GDA (www.gnome-db.org) based on GObject/GLib and its GTK+
objects, you can develop applications using a C API to access any
supported database backend (postgresql, mysql and sqlite, are some of
them). Any application can run simple queries. Exist an application
(on development) at

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gda-browser/4.1/

GDA manual is located at library.gnome.org.

I agree with this. Server-specific APIs are generally awful and there's
no advantage in tying yourself to a specific server unnecessarily.
libgda uses API conventions that are familiar to GTK+ developers and
makes changing the backend server fairly easy.

(Over the years we have changed Glom from using MySQL, to using
PostgreSQL, to optionally also using SQLite.)