putting combobox in toolbar

Hi.
I'm trying to add a combobox to my toolbar.  I get as far as embedding it into a GtkToolButton with
gtk_tool_button_set_label_widget but it seems the button itself is intercepting the mouse clicks and I can't
come up with what I need to do to get the clicks through to the combobox so it will open up and show me my
options.
I've tried playing with the "clicked" signal, but there's something I'm missing.  I can't find any references
to using this function on google or in the list search box.
Please.  Help.
thanks
walter