Re: Embedded Gtk+ system moving to 2.14

Attempting to move several large (multi-hundred compile units) C++
application programs of an embedded ARM / Linux 2.4 system from Gtk+
2.2.4
to Gtk+ 2.14.  We are noting severe performance degradation (2-3 times)
in
screen transitions and a definite overall sluggishness to the systems.
There are no profiling tools available on ARM / Linux 2.4 that we have
been
able to find despite a lot of online investigation.

what windowing system are you using? directfb? x11?

X11, with no window manager, under MontaVista Linux.  Some package details:

cairo-1.8.4
atk-1.24.0
autoconf-2.62
automake-1.10.1
bash-2.05b
expat-2.0.1
fontconfig-2.6.0
freetype-2.3.7
glib-2.18.1
gtk+-2.14.3
gtkhtml-3.24.0
intltool-0.40.3
libart_lgpl-2.3.20
libpng-1.2.8
libsoup-2.24.1
libtool-2.2.4
m4-1.4.11
make-3.81
pango-1.22.0
perl-5.10.0
pixman-0.12.0
pkg-config-0.20
tiff-3.7.4

what kind of themeing are you using?

Home-grown, but removing it completely (which causes the default look) makes
no significant difference.

can you profile things using massif
(memory usage) and oprofile (cpu usage)?

No, massif is not available for ARM; oprofile requires Linux 2.6 for ARM
support.

Thinking about this a different way, is there any benchmark program for GTK?
Then at least I could run that against different versions and get a feel for
what to expect (we also have a build with GTK 2.10).