Embedded Gtk+ system moving to 2.14

Attempting to move several large (multi-hundred compile units) C++
application programs of an embedded ARM / Linux 2.4 system from Gtk+ 2.2.4
to Gtk+ 2.14.  We are noting severe performance degradation (2-3 times) in
screen transitions and a definite overall sluggishness to the systems.
There are no profiling tools available on ARM / Linux 2.4 that we have been
able to find despite a lot of online investigation.

Does anyone know of particular parts of Gtk+ that have become significantly
slower across this rather large jump in versions?  Any pointers on where to
look in our systems would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
John Boncek