Re: Embedded Gtk+ system moving to 2.14

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 12:09 -0800, John Boncek wrote:
Attempting to move several large (multi-hundred compile units) C++
application programs of an embedded ARM / Linux 2.4 system from Gtk+ 2.2.4
to Gtk+ 2.14.  We are noting severe performance degradation (2-3 times) in
screen transitions and a definite overall sluggishness to the systems.
There are no profiling tools available on ARM / Linux 2.4 that we have been
able to find despite a lot of online investigation.

to quote from memory: "gee, could you vague that up a little bit?" :-)

what windowing system are you using? directfb? x11?

what kind of themeing are you using?

Does anyone know of particular parts of Gtk+ that have become significantly
slower across this rather large jump in versions?  Any pointers on where to
look in our systems would be appreciated.

between 2.2 and 2.14 there are at least 5 years worth of changes.

what version of cairo are you using? can you profile things using massif
(memory usage) and oprofile (cpu usage)?

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,