RE: GtkGLExt (was Re: Gtk 3.0)

Well... this seems to turn on a few flames... so let me put some of this to rest.
For anyone to say OpenGL is "niche", and does not apply to everyday apps, I again remind you of iChat and the
OS X Panel. Granted it has only recently found prominence in the desktop but it is quickly making way as OGL
hardware acceleration becomes standardize (has been for some time).
To look back at the past decade and say "look desktops are all 2D", not realizing it has to do with memory
and CPU/GPU issues, which are no longer issues is simply wrong.
The next decade of desktops, more importantly GUI (Graphical USER <-- hello!!! Interfaces) WILL have a
blinding array of 3D widgets which will be like eye candy to most users, and as they see it they will want it
more and more.
I do NOT work at a facility which requires 3D visualization to accomplish its tasks, but users are starting
to ask and want. "Can I do a walkthrough of our warehouse to see how much material I have?", "Can we have a
little computerized white box, with a virtualized pallet to do color matching in?" This has NOTHING to do
with scientific engineering or "niche" market. It has to do with the future of interface design. I work in a
ink manufacturing plant, and by that argument, we should mix it all by hand, since that is how they did it
5000 years ago! 2D is NOT the end of all GUIs. It simply is not! R2 space can not hold as much
date/widgets/whatever as R3 even if the axis were infinite! they (users) want 3D buttons that pop, role,
jump, and wink at them too. They want there pictures to start bending, bouncing, and getting all organic on
them.
To say that GTK does NOT need OGL, is to say they sun is not going to rise in the morning. To say that
GTKGLext (a great tool to be sure) is good enough, is to slap a hand in the face of all of use who see where
this is going.
The greatest problem with the linux community (one I myself am having to learn about) is this indelible ego
that the data and function has to be correct and nothing else. Sorry.... if the user can not visually keep up
or understand what you present, it won't make a difference how good the app works in the back, it IS the eye
candy that gets the user to use it. GtkTreeview in 3D? I can thing of a dozen categorization applications in
seconds.

FYI - OS X is a FreeBSD engin, with NextStep as its windowing system. It uses OGL IN the windowing system
(quartz / composer), and it is the hottest desktop on the market. No one, and I mean no one, has even come
close!
And lets not forget all the work that is being done on Compiz.... why? For the masochism of it?!? No! Because
that is where the future of desktop are, in 3D space!
IMMHO, if Gtk is to keep up, as the cross platform interface it promises to be, it will need OGL to be fully
modularized or integrated somehow. I don't even think GtkGLExt is that far, other than the OS X side of it,
which with demand will certainly improve.
P.S.the comment: " Ah. You are such a loser. Go away.", has no business on this forum, the point is a good
one, and your minimization of it, a poor show of understanding.

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me