Re: GtkGLExt (was Re: Gtk 3.0)

Dear Emmanuele,
yes. and that, apart from games and scientific/technical applications, it's not at all common.
the amount of code using OpenGL is relatively limited (hence "niche") compared to the rest of applications in
the GNOME stack (or even in the whole Linux ecosystem); it's *usage* is limited, not the size of the codebase.
If you go to Amazon and search for OpenGL books, you get this list with 2607 (!!!) results:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=opengl&x=20&y=19

Many of these books have been published in the last 5 years, some in 2008 and even 2009.

The fact is, the OpenGL community is much larger than our GTK community. If scientific/engineering applications are a niche in the GTK world, that is not a OpenGL weakness, that is a GTK weakness.

We must atract more scientifc/engineering applications for Linux and GTK, because this is exactly the kind of stuff that enterprises and universities are demanding.

If we have fantastic operating systems and desktop environments in the free software world, but most of the scientific/engineering aplications only run in Windows/Mac OS X, people will be forced to use them, even if they would rather prefer to use Linux/BSD... I have many friends in this situation...

Cheers,
Carlos