Re: Printing

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:28:49 +0100, Bastiaan Veelo <bastiaan sarc nl>
wrote:

Enrico TrÃger wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:56:05 +0100, Bastiaan Veelo <bastiaan sarc nl>
wrote:

Hi,

1) In order to get approximately correctly scaled text I had to specify
a resolution of around 27.2 on the pango context. This value was
determined by trial and error. I suspect I am doing something
fundamentally wrong, and I would like to know how to render text the way
the font designer inteded it. I have tried scaling only graphics and not
text, but even then text was much too big.

2) The printed font seems a little heavy. This may be due to the scaling
issue above.

regarding the font issues in general: did you ever try to use Pango for
the fonts instead of Cairo?

Yes, my issues are with pango. The posted code also prints a cairo line
of text, for reference, but I prefer using a pango layout.

In my app I'm using a PangoContext to place text into the page, but
this also causes problems, at least on Windows.

What kind of problems? Like I have described or others?
No, not really. One reported similar problems some months ago, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-app-devel-list gnome org/msg10029.html.
Behdad Esfahbod told him to change his code, I already did this but
still get the same results.

For examples see:
http://www.uvena.de/tmp/cairo/print_pango_linux.pdf (fine)
and
http://www.uvena.de/tmp/cairo/print_pango_win32.pdf (broken)

It's printed with the same code. Unfortunately, I didn't manage it yet
to write a small sample programm to show this. The above PDFs are
created by printing with Geany. The relevant code can be found in the
draw_page function in
http://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/geany/trunk/src/printing.c?revision=2201&view=markup#l_466

Regards,
Enrico