Re: Treeview column width changed signal

Scott Horowitz wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008 1:35 PM, Gorshkov <listsubscriptions oghma on ca> wrote:
Check my first post to you - it contains ALL the code you need, period.
I deal with exactly the same problem you have, for exactly the same
reasons you have to.

Stop trying to implement a toe pedal, and just use the stick shift.

I'm not sure why your tone is overly aggressive. I have to admit that
I've been following this discussion with interest because I, too, have
wanted a treeview column width signal for my application. Using the
"stick shift", as you suggested, is overly complicated and a
reinvention of the wheel for each application developer.

Lack of patience, and the feeling that I was talking to a brick wall, to be perfectly honest. I even posted all the code he needed to implement the solution - and given that it was only about 20 or 30 lines total, I wouldn't exactly call it overly complicated. The only code I did not give him was the code to actually save the data to a file - everything else - the signal handlers, callbacks, etc, is there.

I have the code working correctly now for my application, but it's not
nearly as trivial as it should have been.

I will agree with you if you say that FINDING the solution to the problem isn't trivial - it's not always easy to find what you want in the documentation, and unless you happen to stumble across an exact example somewhere on the web, it can take you months to figure out how to do something that is quite simple - once you know how. It took me almost 2 months to stumble across the info I needed to implement my solution to the problem, so I am VERY sympathetic.

> There's nothing wrong with
constructive criticism of the graphical toolkit, especially if it can
lead to an easier framework with which to work. After all, shouldn't
that be the ultimate goal?

Absolutly - and I have no objection to constructive criticism. My issue is that I didn't find the criticism constructive. He had done things in a certain way in other toolkits, and wanted to be able to do it the same way in THIS toolkit - the fact that he had the solution laid down right in front of him didn't seem to matter. It wasn't the way he was used to, so it was wrong. that is where the toe thingie/stick shift came from

For what it's worth, I too would love to see such a signal.

When I started this application, I would (and did) agree with you - I tore my hair out trying to figure out a solution. But now that I have it, I disagree. I think the solution is easy, it's straight-forward, and simple to implement - it's just not the way *I* would have thought of it, either ... which is why it was so difficult to discover.

Scott