Re: Spontaneous background colors in treeview

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:43:52AM -0600, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
Kristian Rietveld wrote:

When you sort a column in a tree view with >= 3
columns, the sorted column is drawn with a background that is slightly
darker than the default background (in the default theme it is a shade
of grey). ?This is the default and correct behavior.

What is the rationale for ignoring set_sort_indicator when the number of
columns is less than 3?  If I go to the trouble of setting the sort
indicator, it seems to me that gtk should respect my desires and show it.
If I don't want the sort indicator to appear when ncols < 3, I could detect
that condition myself.  I am annoyed that the sort indicator disappears
from my GUI when I present data that requires only 2 columns.

The rationale is simple: if we don't do it, it gets confusing.  In a
GtkTreeView with two columns, of which one is sorted, you basically have
a list that is two colors in half.  You cannot tell which one is the
highlight (of course, unless you know what the "real default" background
color is).  This issue got filed multiple times and in the end it was
decided to fix it this way.

regards,

-kris.