Re: Shared or dynamic?!

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 07:59:40AM +0200, Tomasz Jankowski wrote:
I'm going to write network library hardly based on GLib to improve my
programming skills. However I haven't wrote any library so far, so I haven't
got any experience with it. :( After reading libtool documentation I became
a bit confused, because I don't know what kind of library should I build. My
library should be linked with program while compilation process, not loaded
during runtime,

Why?  (If the library is private to one package, that counts
as a reason, but see below.)

so I thought, that I must build a static library, but
libraries such as GTK+ or GLib in /usr/lib directory have *.so prefix. I
don't understand it... :(

These are shared libraries.  In most cases shared libraries
are what you want.

Can someone explain it for my? What kind of
library should I build?

If the library will be used only inside one package, build
it as a libtool convenience library.

Otherwise build shared, static or both depending on what the
user wants.  This works automatically, AC_PROG_LIBTOOL adds
corresponding options to configure, with the default to build
both types (provided that it's possible on the target
platform).

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/