Shared or dynamic?!

Hello!

I'm going to write network library hardly based on GLib to improve my
programming skills. However I haven't wrote any library so far, so I haven't
got any experience with it. :( After reading libtool documentation I became
a bit confused, because I don't know what kind of library should I build. My
library should be linked with program while compilation process, not loaded
during runtime, so I thought, that I must build a static library, but
libraries such as GTK+ or GLib in /usr/lib directory have *.so prefix. I
don't understand it... :( Can someone explain it for my? What kind of
library should I build?

(Sorry for posting it on this mailing list, but i don't know any reliable
source of information. Moreover we can say, that it's someway linked to GTK+
apps programming, because I'm using GLib ;P)

--
Cya!
Tom