Alternative GTK widgets

Pardon my noobness, but I am new to GTK.  I had assumed there would be a
wealth of open source widgets that descend from the toolkit. I am starting
to think this was a very poor assumption on my part.  I've not be able to
find anything but a few aborted attempts at variations by other parties. Am
I missing something? Is there are directory of other efforts to add value to
the base classes?