Re: Memory debugging -- which tool?

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 14:18 +1100, Michael Lamothe wrote:
Valgrind for most of it.  However, be warned, if you have a
multi-threaded application and you're trying to debug a
multi-threading issue, Valgrind is not going to work for you.
Valgrind does some hocus-pocus to simulate multi-threading, but you
will not get the same conditions as when your application is running
bare.

That's often a good thing though, because you want to test your
multi-threaded application with slightly unexpected timings.

And valgrind's helgrind tool can give some hints about possible
lock/race problems. I've never known whether they've been real problems,
but I've generally tried to fix what it complains about anyway.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com