Re: Memory debugging -- which tool?

On Dec 13, 2007 9:25 AM, Dan H <dunno stoptrick com> wrote:
I'm trying to use valgrind to track down this issue; however, this slows down my app to the point where it
takes close to a minute for the GUI to start up, and then another minute to get to the crash. I've used
ccmalloc with good success in the past, it has very little overhead, but it doesn't seem to support
gcc-2.4.1 any more. I need something faster than valgrind.

I used to use efence, but it's valgrind all the way for me now.

efence is fast but VERY memory hungry. I have a 64-bit machine now and
valgrind works wonderfully well. My app needs at least 70MB of RAM on
startup and that's enough for efence to run out of space on an 8 GB
machine :-( valgrind is bit sluggish, but you can just go for a coffee
while waiting for it to spot something.

A good tip is to make a careful suppressions file so valgrind only
stops your program for your errors. It makes using it much more
hands-off.

John