Memory debugging -- which tool?

Hello,

I've written some C code which at some point seems to be trampling over memory that belongs to GTK-related
stuff, which causes erratic crashed at some unrelated point much later. This is of course not a GTK issue,
just a well-known phenomenon in general.

I'm trying to use valgrind to track down this issue; however, this slows down my app to the point where it
takes close to a minute for the GUI to start up, and then another minute to get to the crash. I've used
ccmalloc with good success in the past, it has very little overhead, but it doesn't seem to support gcc-2.4.1
any more. I need something faster than valgrind.

What tools do you guys use?

Thanks,
--D.