Re: gtk eating tab hotkey

Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 20:45 -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

I've created a main menubar with a handful of menus using the UI manager. All of my hotkeys work except for the menuitem which uses "Tab" as the hotkey. The problem is that gtk eats the tab and uses it to move the focus around my different buttons and and other widgets on the screen. Then the menus never get triggered by a "Tab" press.

Please don't fight the accessibility support :-)  Tab is used to
help mouseless operation.

Can't you find an alternative within your program?  Users are
likely to discover tab in other programs and want yours to
work the same way.

The hot keys are completely configurable by the user. In particular, this particular program has both motif and gtk GUI's and the file which specifies the menus and associated hot keys are supposed to be compatible (i.e., if someone wants the gtk version to look and feel like the motif version they can). Tab has had a particular meaning for some time.

Besides, this particular program is fairly useless without a mouse anyway.

Perhaps it should be considered a bug then in gtk that it will let you specify Tab as the hotkey and have it even show up in the menus if it won't actually work. I guess what I can do in the short term is have my program remove the Tab from the hotkeys and issue a warning to the user that Tab's aren't allowed.

-Dan