gtk eating tab hotkey

I've created a main menubar with a handful of menus using the UI manager. All of my hotkeys work except for the menuitem which uses "Tab" as the hotkey. The problem is that gtk eats the tab and uses it to move the focus around my different buttons and and other widgets on the screen. Then the menus never get triggered by a "Tab" press.

Is there a way to tell Gtk to not eat keys like Tab and <shift>Tab so that I can use them as hotkeys? Or do I have to capture the keypress event and wire it back into the menus myself? That seems like a pain!

Thanks
-Dan