GIOChannel, how to free?

Hi, I hope this is the correct ML to ask something about glib.

I'm creating a GIOChannel with g_io_channel_unix_new() and installing it as a source with g_io_add_watch(). Everything works, but I don't know if/how am I suppose to cleanup the things after the file descriptor closes.

In the GIOFunc callback I'm returning FALSE when I want to close the stream, and I presume this removes the reference initially set by g_io_add_watch(). In all code snippets I've found online, this is all what is done.

But according to the docs, g_io_channel_unix_new() creates the channel with a reference count set to 1, so I guess we need a g_object_unref() somewhere.

Would this sequence of calls be correct:

- g_io_channel_unix_new() (ref 0->1)
- g_io_add_watch()        (ref 1->2)
- g_object_unref()        (ref 2->1)
- ...callback is invoked some times ...
- callback returns FALSE  (ref 1->0)

I'm just guessing that returning FALSE decrements the ref count. Anyone has a clear understanding of how the flow should be?

TIA,
  Alberto

--
http://www.mardy.it <-- Geek in un lingua international!