GtkComboBox limitations

The GTKComboBox (like its GtkOptionMenu) has a major weakness. It does
not emit a signal when the user reselects the same item. The normally
means I've got to add an additional button so that needs to be clicked
so that I can read the current active item. This clutters the UI in some
situations.

Is there some trickery I can use to get some type of signal when the use
reselect the same item? Maybe some signal related to the popup?

Might I also suggest that an 'selected' signal be added to this class?
It would be much more useful.